Thursday, August 27, 2009

First Day of School: We got through it.

Today was an awesome day. Or it should have been. I pretended it was; I am pretty sure my kids didn't notice I was crying...though they probably did notice that I was short with them this morning to stop changing shirts and ZOMG you are kidding you lost your mp4 player already??? In a perfect world, they would have had to deal with neither tears nor short tempers, but their world, like most of ours, is not perfect.

Today Supergirl started third grade with a teacher everyone loves and about whom everyone raves. Every year, this uber-creative teacher stages a fantasy world in her classroom. Last year, it was 'Treasure Island' and this year, it's 'Where the Wild Things Are'. Supergirl was excited and nervous; so many things may change for us with a move in the future, I think it was hard for her to digest it all. She looked so cute - a very generous friend had taken her shopping for a first-day-of-school-outfit, and she was completely put together. She's going to show off her un-pierced ears and then get them pierced soon so she can have the thrill of telling everyone.



There's a new principal at our school, so everyone was apprehensive and excited to meet her. She seems very nice, which is a good sign for upcoming IEPs.
But there is no getting around the stigma of being asked for a copy of the custody and restraining orders, and there was no way to circumvent the lump in my throat as I was asked to provide a picture of the father for the new principal.


:::::::::::::::::::::::((gulp))::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

::::::::::::::::::::((choke)):::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

:::::::::::::::::::::::((gulp)):::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

::::::::::::::::::::::((hiccup)):::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::


First day of school, I should have photos of all of us on our way to school (not that he was into the ritual).
I should not have to provide photos to the school of who can not pick up our children.

I cannot lie, I am angry about this. I am angry that he put himself, our children, and me in this position.


I composed myself to take Bubbles to his new preschool down the hill. Excitement, apprehension, friends, toys, new teachers....WOW! I got a kiss from Bubbles within five minutes of his arrival. "Bye-bye Mommy, I think you go now."



Turning in paperwork at the office this time I was prepared.
"Yes, I will bring in a photo."

I barely flinched.

8 comments:

Mama Deb said...

These are great photos of the kiddos. Now that Bubbles is in school, will I ever get to see these precious children of yours?!!
Let's definitely plan a weekend where we can drive down the coast to play. Hug to you.

Monica said...

Can I just say how much I love bubbles hair.

Jess said...

Gwendo...

You remember your mantra's for the kiddos? How about trying to apply them to yourself for a wee bit? And, I know it isn't at all the same, but we in blog land are sending you love and holding you gently as you get through this.

xo

gwendomama said...

Deb: You won't come to class? Preschool??

Monica: That is after a trim and a brush. I swear.

Jess: Point taken; I'll try.

Nicolene said...

Congrats on getting over another hurdle. :)

Linda said...

your precious little people.

llhughes said...

what???? I meant to say that I am thinking alot about you and...

office said...

The Tax Return Crack-Up<4>
Realizing he might have dug himself in there,Microsoft Office 2010the general emphasized that Office 2010he had spent some time as a junior Office 2007officer working "very closely Microsoft Officewith the Israeli air force" and that heMicrosoft Office 2007had found that "more cosmopolitan,Office 2007 key liberal version of the Israeli population" Office 2007 downloadto be just chock full Office 2007 Professionalof that sort of "goodwill" necessary Windows 7to give a bunch of land back Microsoft outlook 2010to the Palestinians.