Thursday, October 30, 2008

IEP Thunder

It is thundering outside right now, and that is how I feel.
THUNDERY.
The IEP was not ideal. HAHAHAHAHA.
I know that's news to all of you IEP veterans.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
I can't stop laughing or crying inappropriately. Oh wait - maybe the crying is appropriate.
The results weren't......terrible....but basically, our principal and superintendent (same person) lied. She lied about letting me see the IEP 48 hours in advance so that I would have 'no surprises', she lied about the dates of the IFSP meetings and phone calls to the rest of the team members there, she lied about funding to me and got very upset when I revealed what I actually know about the funding (I was not supposed to know) and suggested that there was a difference between 'can't' and 'won't', she lied to me five weeks ago (at the IFSP) and said she would try and allow for a transition period for Bubbles from one therapy to another approach, and then when I tearfully said I could not sign the IEP, she grinned like a cheshire cat as she mockingly said, "Well, if you won't sign, then Bubbles won't get services, and that doesn't seem like his best interest."
The school psychologist was another piece of work; asking me weeks ago what I wanted to happen and then recommending just the opposite, challenging the credentials of the organization that has worked (successfully!) with my child for a year, and basically being a dick.

So the results are not horrible, like I said. But they are not optimal, and the whole 'we want what's best for your child' is, predictably, a political word game they play.

I did not sign.
I need to sleep on it.

The lying boss suggested, like a vice grip on my nipples, that I must sign it or 'too bad for Bubbles'.
Lying again, she may have forgotten that I still have one more day before his birthday.
I walked out without signing.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA


((waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh))

9 comments:

InTheFastLane said...

shoot....as a school counselor, I am on the other side of IEP meetings, too frequently. I know that sometimes, the services that are available in the schools is vastly different from the services that might be ideal. But, I don't know all the details of your child and your school system. I do know that people that have the money to pay for private therapy's are usually WAY better off that whatever the school can offer.

But, that all being said...usually the early childhood interventions are fairly comprehensive. And if you are being told one thing and then it changes, you have every right to do what you did. Can you appeal the process? Is there I director of special education that has more power than the principal/superindent?

Mama Deb said...

Dude....so sorry :(

Anonymous said...

You need to get an advocate ASAP. They will try to dick you around and not pay for anything if they think that they can get away with it. I had to pull an advocate in when my school district tried to deny all services to my son (PDD) because the SLP had decided that he wasn't autistic. I still want to know where her degree is stored. ARGH! His birthday shouldn't matter because by law you get either 10 or 14 days to review the IEP at home. I know that states have various differences but I'm pretty sure that is a federal law.

*Big hugs* IEPs blow hard, especially the first one when you go it alone. They can get better though. I promise.

Anonymous said...

With Apraxia, Private is typically the way to go and actually see results. I know and have learned this all too well. Even most school SLPs will tell you that, off the record of course. The amount of therapy and how it has to be 1:1, there just aren't enough hours in a school day to do it.

Also, I thought that if you didn't sign, they had to honor his present IEP/IFSP until an agreement was met.

Good luck! I think that whatever way you go, he will be an excellent verbal communicator. I just re-read your last post and I am seriously impressed with that much language at that age with severe apraxia diagnosis, Rock on Bubbles! I have a 3.5 year old with severe verbal apraxia and we spent time at an apraxia clinic this summer with other apraxic children.

Alicia said...

I am so sorry - it is beyond ridiculous to exclude the parent's opinion from a plan for their own child. Especially when they are obviously informed, as you are. I hope that something better works out.

I can't find my blog said...

That blows.

Anonymous said...

Been there, done that! I knew all the legal mumbo jumbo, knew what my son was entitled to & was still treated like I had no brain. I finally got a lawyer friend to write a letter & magically the IEP was written in a way that was actually beneficial for my son.
The school districts want to spend as little as possible on our children.

datri said...

Sorry you had a horrible IEP meeting. Our school district has been very good at getting what the kids need, even though it is a rural school district. But our superintendent worked as an SLP, then a special ed teacher before she went into administration, so at least she has a clue! Incidentally, I've never been asked to sign an IEP. I've never been given a form that says that I agree or disagree with the IEP. Basically, after the IEP meeting, everyone is satisfied with what's on it.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about the way that played out. But, my advice as a school teacher, DO NOT LET THEM DO THIS TO YOU.

You may have to feel like a queen biotch but you and your child deserve the best...stand up for him and do NOT administrators push you around..