Election Day Highlights:
- Our polling place was at my daughter's school; the only community center up here on this mountain. They had a special table set up for children to vote. My friend's four year old went over to the table to cast his ballot. He noticed a twelve year old girl checking off the box under John McCain, and leaned over to help her out, "You voted for the wrong guy!" he yelled. She glared at him, but he was four. So she left him alone.
- When my friend J, the host of our election night potluck, was the first one to hear the great news and interrupted our quiet glasses of wine by screaming and jumping up and down and then we started screaming and jumping up and down and then she stopped screaming and jumping up and down and yelled, "I just peed my pants!!" And we all howled and
almostpeed our pants - in solidarity.
- Opening the bottle of year 2000 champagne almost made up for the last eight years. Okay, not really. But it was a fleeting moment of satisfaction.
- When I asked my four year old friend if he liked voting, he yelled, "I voted for the BIG cages for chickens!"
- The stop and start tears that happened all night because, let's face it, this was a very emotional election.
- The feeling I have today. I think it's called hope.
Election Day Lowlight:
- Prop 8. Seriously? WTF?